Saturday, January 10, 2009

Yesterday Is Gone

Yesterday is gone. Don’t know where it went,
or how it got away without my noticing.
It never left a note to say “I’m leaving”, just decided it had to go, and was gone. When it had first arrived, in the very early morning, it came with a bag full of promise, and a box of possibility, dropped it all at my feet and said “I brought you some things to sort through today, use anything you care to, anything that might suit your purpose. Some of it may be useful to you, and some of it may be just for fun. But use whatever you’d like. Only has a shelf life of 24 hours, however, and I can’t take any of it back”.

I never even acknowledged the gifts, just left them there on the floor while I went back to ruminating over the price of gas, and whether or not the world will even last long enough for me to finish using that big box of paper towels I just got from Costco. And the 12-pack of toothpaste too. Wouldn’t want to waste any of that. Your teeth can never be too clean. Or too white for that matter.

That bag of promise, and the box of possibility that was with it, never even got opened yesterday. Didn’t have time for that. I kept meaning to get to it, but found myself being constantly interrupted by the television. Those gifts were gone when I got out of bed this morning, having been replaced by another box, and another bag, but maybe half the size of the others.

Maybe I’ll have time today to see what’s in there.