Friday, January 23, 2009

He's Not God

Speaking about me, a friend recently told another person,
“He doesn’t know everything, he’s not God.”

I thought it interesting that she felt she had to defend God. Or was she just alerting the other person not to confuse me with Him. Nevertheless, from my perspective it didn’t seem necessary. I’ve always been a very poor imitation of God, and never felt anyone would be in danger of mistaking me for Him, although I have been told I was created in His image, and in His likeness, if that counts for anything.

I’ve always been taught that God is Love (I John, 4:8). And, according to I Corinthians 13: 5-7, “Love is patient; Love is kind; Love is not envious, or boastful, or arrogant, or rude; It does not insist on its own way; It is not irritable or resentful; It does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth; It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.”

If God is Love, and Love is all that, then God is all that too.
And that certainly doesn’t sound like me.

God’s got no worries here.
His identity remains intact.