Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Where My Fingers Go

I don’t really feel like writing this morning, but I thought I should kick off the New Year by writing. Because writing is a practice, and a discipline, it’s a good thing to do even when I’m not feeling particularly inclined. However, since I don’t actually have any interesting thoughts for you today, I decided, instead, that I would just start typing and see where my fingers go. I know, if my fingers go where my thinking goes, that could get me in a lot of trouble. But, what’s a little trouble among friends? Right?
Maybe what I have to say will prove to be interesting to you.
And maybe it won’t.

I don’t really know.

Like the rest of you, I’m still trying to figure out this whole ‘life’ thing, whether consciously, or otherwise.
But one thing I do know is that every life is different, but equally important.
And every time of life is different as well, for each of us.

One kind of has to figure out one’s own life, one’s own path. Besides the application of our own personal experience, and the wisdom gained from it, the best any of us can really do is to take the wisdom and experience of those who’ve walked the road ahead of us (ancient, or otherwise) and apply some of the more meaningful, and useful, lessons (of their experience) to ourselves, wherever, and however, they best fit. Some of it will fit fairly well, and some of it will be a little baggy, or just a bit too tight for our liking.

Some things will not fit at a certain time of our lives, but will at others. And conversely, some will fit at certain times, but not so well at others. It all depends on timing, psychic metabolism, and how we happen to be living at the time. We gain and lose spiritual, and intellectual, dimension in life just as we do physical weight. Maybe the biggest decisions we face in life are in just deciding what to keep, and what to discard from our proverbial closet.
And when.

I dress myself in what fits. If it doesn’t fit I don’t leave it hanging too long in my closet wishing that it would. I like to save the closet space for what I can actually wear.

What fit in 1967, 1975, 1985, 98, or 2010, whether it be social, political, religious, or ideological, does not necessarily work for me today. I will keep the parts that continue to make sense, and eliminate the parts that don’t.
Today has never been here before, and I have never faced life with the same degree of accumulated knowledge, wisdom, and experience as I face it with today. Even yesterday I was a day short of what I have now.
The same can be said of each of us.

Every life is different, but equally important.
And every time of life is different as well.
What we do with that accumulation of living is our own choice.


And that, friends, is where my fingers have gone today.